Monday, September 26, 2005

It's Banned Books Week!

It's Banned Books Week! Read a banned book! For a list of books that have been banned or challenged visit the American Library Association's website for the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 2000-2001 and the Top Ten Most Challenged Books of 2004.

In January 2007, all new books will have ISBN numbers that are 13-digits long, instead of the previous 10-digit ISBN numbers. If you want to read about this in depth, download this. It's most likely way too much information for non-librarians (and perhaps even too much info for librarians - I don't know, I haven't read it yet).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, don't know much about ISBN numbers, but I do like Banned Book Week. I've chosen Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale." Been meaning to read it for years, may as well do it now. "Bless Me, Ultima" is the understudy: I'm really trying very, VERY hard to appreciate magical realism.

Kate said...

Hey Liz,
"The Handmaid's Tale" is quite good. It's yet another one of those dystopian novels like "1984". I am not familiar with "Bless Me, Ultima", though.
~Kat