Thursday, November 03, 2005

(in)famous Kat

So the college paper published an article about me, the new Reference Librarian. They got a few facts wrong:

1. I'm not currently working on my Masters in Library and Information Science. I already have it.
2. I did not graduate from this college a year ago - it's been over 2 years.
3. I'm not necessarily the one on the other end of Ask a Librarian. Only a few hours a month may you get the privilege of chatting with me on that service.

I'm glad they saw fit to include my age. Too bad they didn't also announce that I'm single... and desperate (sarcasm, people). Anyway, I suppose it's my own fault for giving them my age in the first place. However, I will claim inexperience: It was the first or second question she asked, and I'd never been interviewed before! I panicked! I do remember thinking immediately after I answered her question that perhaps I should've said I prefer not to answer that. Oh well. It could have been much worse. :)

However, the article really is quite nice. It's great publicity for the library, and the story itself is featured prominently on the front page. The quotes were well-chosen and portray me quite accurately. So, overall, it really is a good article, it just has a few incorrect statements. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any chance you could post the complete text and/or a link? : )

Anonymous said...

I think you should write to the paper and nicely point out that you already have your masters.....and the other two things they sorta messed up. Maybe the person couldn't read their own writing....maybe they had medicine head while writing so didn't write to their full potential..maybe they were just young.....who knows. You could put it in as an FYI. And no pointing out that you are single there....you don't want BDO coming in to the library even more. Llama

Anonymous said...

It seems like an extremely odd thing for an interviewer to ask for an article about a new librarian... ..then they publish it on the cover of the school newspaper. That is not responsible journalism. Maybe the article title should have been: "Attention stalkers... ...fresh meat at the library."