Monday, July 31, 2006

Books in the Loo

An interesting Article from the Sunday New York Times called "Chamber Plots" (ah, love the pun) discusses the practice of keeping books and magazines in the bathroom.

Currently, my bathroom contains the large number of issues of American Libraries, College & Research Libraries News, and College & Research Libraries that I have not yet read (ooops!). Lately I've been thinking that I need to get a basket of some sort to keep all of them in...

Now, however, I'm contemplating purchasing a copy of the Darwin Awards, or something equally entertaining, for any guests who use my facilities. Or a Mother Goose & Grimm book. I love that comic strip!

My brother used to put his Far Side books in the bathroom, which always made for an entertaining read.

What's in your bathroom?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah, I love the "Chamber Plots" article! And your idea to place the Darwin Awards in the bathroom is great. I'm enjoying imagining all the different ways that people reading that book while in the bathroom may find themselves contained within the next edition as a result... : )

Kate said...

Haha, I found it entertaining that Blackberries are often damaged because they've been dropped in the toilet. What other crazy things are you imagining? Dare I even ask? :)

Anonymous said...

The Blackberries was my favorite part, too, just because I can't see one without having to beat back the urge to seize and destroy it in a defiling fashion.

Oh, you can dare ask anytime : ).

Mostly, I guess the imaginings concern blithely unaware people getting sucked in by an exploding toilet or something...I don't, things you could usually avoid if you were sufficiently alert and not reading on the pot. And no, I've never heard of a toilet exploding, but it's a fun image, right?

Things could get more disgusting, but then it would become improper for a public forum... : )

Anonymous said...

Oh, and another thing with the Blackberries. I'm sure the vast majority of such incidents are not accidents, but "accidents"...