Monday, November 06, 2006

incest, necrophilia, and seduction

Just when I think I've seen it all....

I am slowly working my way through the reference collection, weeding out tons of books. I thought I would have already seen the most bizarre but today I discovered Show Me the Good Parts: The Reader's Guide to Sex in Literature.

This extremly useful book provides the page numbers and brief annotations of sex scenes in various books. For example, the annotation for Call Me Mistress by Tomlin Rede is as follows: "The heroine ends up with the guy who first took her innocence from her some 10,000 intercourses ago."

Or in The Devil in Bucks County by Edmund Schiddel, "A 16-year-old girl from one of the fine families gets mixed up with the town's aging delinquent. This s.o.b. leaves her with an ugly memory of her first experience, which will take a lot of sundaes and church socials to wipe out."

This book is clearly a must-have for every library. It is divided into chapters by type of sex scene, thus the title of this post. I wish I could personally thank the ingenious male librarian who wrote this book. I am surprised it hasn't gotten more use in my library.

8 comments:

Jeff said...

What, no call number?

Elizabeth said...

Necrophilia?

Think I need this one for my reference section.

Kate said...

nye! - the call number? even better, check the WorldCat Record to see if it is available near you. i just checked ohiolink to see who else had it, and only one other ohio academic library does (oberlin - shock, i know)!

elizabeth - i worry about you. :)

Elizabeth said...

First and second sentence not connected at all.

Want generallt for reference collection, not specifically for mecrophilia, you sicko.

Hungry.

Kate said...

elizabeth - am not a sicko!

mecrophilia? that's a new one.

hungry? ...and drunk? :)

reyn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
reyn said...

I think she just has the munchies. But if she has mecrophilia, too, watch out--nothing but trouble there.

ket said...

hah - those brief summaries sound like every book review I've written so far. I'm going to have to find this and read the books it lists just so I can use its summaries instead of taking the time to write my own...