Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Best "Your Book Has Shipped" Email Ever!

This cinches it. I LOVE Better World Books. First they take our library discards at absolutely no cost to us and pay us a percentage of the money they make off of selling the books. And they recycle anything they can't sell.

Then, I order a textbook for class from them, using a 15% discount card and saving lots of money over what the book was selling for at Amazon or half.com.

And now, they send me this absolutely awesome, unbeatable "Your Book Has Shipped" email:
(Your book(s) asked to write you a personal note - it seemed unusual, but who are we to say no?)

Holy canasta! It's me... it's me! I can't believe it is actually me! You could have picked any of over 2 million books but you picked me! I've got to get packed! How is the weather where you live? Will I need a dust jacket? I can't believe I'm leaving Mishawaka, Indiana already - the friendly people, the Hummer plant, the Linebacker Lounge - so many memories. I don't have much time to say goodbye to everyone, but it's time to see the world!

I can't wait to meet you! You sound like such a well read person. Although, I have to say, it sure has taken you a while! I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but how would you like to spend five months sandwiched between Jane Eyre (drama queen) and Fundamentals of Thermodynamics (pyromaniac)? At least Jane was an upgrade from that stupid book on brewing beer. How many times did the ol' brewmaster have one too many and topple off our shelf at 2am?

I know the trip to meet you will be long and fraught with peril, but after the close calls I've had, I'm ready for anything (besides, some of my best friends are suspense novels). Just five months ago, I thought I was a goner. My owner was moving and couldn't take me with her. I was sure I was landfill bait until I ended up in a Better World Books book drive bin. Thanks to your socially conscious book shopping, I've found a new home. Even better, your book buying dollars are helping kids read from Brazil to Botswana.

But hey, enough about me, I've been asked to brief you on a few things:

[insert shipping information, order number, and other details here]

Eagerly awaiting our meeting,

Case Studies in Abnormal Psychology

Better World Books, you made my day. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate, love your blog - hope all is well. Mention for you on my New Year's honours list:

Happy New year

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
天那 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
live3054 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lotus Spirit said...

Hi there, I discovered your blog the other day and I just love it. I'm an avid reader and libraries are my favorite places to be, so getting a behind the scenes look is always fascinating. This post brought such a big smile to my face. I'll have to check out Better World Books.

Kate said...

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm glad you've been enjoying my blog. And yes, you should definitely check out Better World Books. They don't ship as fast as Amazon, but a portion of the profits go to a good cause. Also, the few Better World Books reps I've dealt with have all been great! :)