Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Internet TV?

Richard MacManus over at Read/Write Web has posted about a new company, Brightcove, that aims to provide TV on the Internet (for more information, check out MacManus' ZDNet post on this company). According to Brightcove's website:
We're creating an open Internet TV service that empowers video producers and programmers to build broadband businesses while giving viewers more choices and control over their use of video and television.
Not sure what I really think about Internet TV. I really don't watch TV as is (since I don't have cable TV and therefore would probably get one station if I were to bother to hook up the antenna I recently acquired). Plus the quality of video on a computer screen varies. I currently use my computer to watch DVDs. I would have to say I probably have a fairly decent video card, since a techie friend of mine built the computer for me, and the quality is still not the greatest. Plus, if you have to pay to watch this new Internet TV, that would be another drawback.

Of course, if this were to somehow give us access to the movies still in the theatre (even for a fee), I can see the benefit of that. I am fairly certain that, if that were the case, I would start using the service. However, I don't know if that is even something this company is interested in doing. That might also have to be a down-the-road-type goal, since it would probably be easiest to start with TV before moving up to the newest movie releases.

Side note: While hunting around the Brightcove site for more information, I clicked on "Company" and was highly amused to see that the pictures of the members of the management team are actually short videos. Of course, having recently reread all the Harry Potter books, this reminds me of the moving pictures hanging on the walls in Hogwarts.

No comments: